August 2, 1958 |
|Alma mater||St. Thomas University|
Annelisa Marie Avila
- Florida Marlins 1.1
- Pittsburgh Pirates 1.2
- Detroit Tigers 1.3
- Personal 2
- References 3
- External links 4
In June 1992, Avila joined the Florida Marlins as the assistant director of Latin American operations. After two seasons with the Marlins, he was promoted to director of Latin American operations. Under Avila's guidance, the Marlins signed 1997 NLCS and World Series MVP Liván Hernández, during Florida's World Series run.
Avila was named director of scouting for the Marlins in July 1998, where he was responsible for all of the Marlins scouting efforts on both the national and international levels and he oversaw the development of those players in the baseball academies in the Dominican Republic and Venezuela. Avila helped sign 16-year-old Miguel Cabrera in 1999, who debuted in the major leagues in 2003 and hit four home runs during Florida's second World Series run.
Avila served as the interim general manager for the Marlins during the 2001 off-season following Dave Dombrowski's departure to the Detroit Tigers. He was named the Marlins vice president and assistant general manager in July 2001.
On April 15, 2002, Avila was named the assistant general manager and vice president of the Detroit Tigers.
On August 4, 2015, Avila was promoted to general manager and executive vice president of baseball operations, after Dombrowski was released by the Tigers. Avila became the first Cuban-born general manager in baseball history.
His father, Ralph Avila, was the vice president of the Los Angeles Dodgers, and is currently the senior scouting advisor for the Dodgers. His son, Alex Avila, is a catcher for the Detroit Tigers.
- Bull, Kevin (July 16, 2001). "Tigers' Avila had been up for other GM jobs before".
- O'Brien, David (July 16, 2001). "Avila Promoted To Assistant GM".
- "Pirates Hire Avila As Ass't to GM".
- Simon, Andrew (August 4, 2015). "Avila replaces Dombrowski as Tigers GM".
- Fenech, Anthony (August 4, 2015). "Tigers release Dombrowski, promote Avila to GM".
- Navarro, Manny (August 4, 2015). "South Florida’s Al Avila becomes first Cuban-born GM in baseball".
- Reid, Jason (March 19, 1999). "Dodgers' Dominican Dandy Avila to Retire at Year's End".
- McCarron, Anthony (October 6, 2011). "A family affair with Tigers as Detroit assistant GM Al Avila sees son Alex Avila face Yanks in ALDS".
Detroit Tigers general manager