1998 Kansas City Royals season
|1998 Kansas City Royals|
|Major League affiliations|
Fox Sports Rocky Mountain
(Paul Splittorff, Bob Davis)
(Denny Matthews, Fred White)
|< Previous season Next season >|
- November 18, 1997: Yamil Benitez was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks from the Kansas City Royals as the 19th pick in the 1997 expansion draft.
- January 20, 1998: Terry Pendleton was signed as a Free Agent with the Kansas City Royals.
- January 20, 1998: Lee Smith signed as a Free Agent with the Kansas City Royals.
- March 17, 1998: Ernie Young was purchased by the Kansas City Royals from the Oakland Athletics.
Before the 1998 regular season began, two new teams—the Arizona Diamondbacks and Tampa Bay Devil Rays—were added by Major League Baseball. This resulted in the American League and National League having fifteen teams. However, in order for MLB officials to continue primarily intraleague play, both leagues would need to carry a number of teams that was divisible by two, so the decision was made to move one club from the AL Central to the NL Central.
This realignment was widely considered to have great financial benefit to the club moving. However, to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest, Commissioner (then club owner) Bud Selig decided another team should have the first chance to switch leagues. The choice was offered to the Kansas City Royals, who ultimately decided to stay in the American League. The choice then fell to the Brewers, who, on November 6, 1997 elected to move to the National League. Had the Brewers elected not to move to the National League, the Minnesota Twins would have been offered the opportunity to switch leagues.
|Chicago White Sox||80||82||.494||9.0|
|Kansas City Royals||72||89||.447||16.5|
Starters by positionNote: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; R = Runs; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In; Avg. = Batting Average; Slg. = Slugging Average; SB = Stolen Bases
- Terry Pendleton Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Lee Smith Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- "Brewers switch leagues, join Reds in NL Central".
- Pappas, Doug, "News Briefs: Fall 1997", Outside the Lines, Fall 1997.
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 2007
- 1998 Kansas City Royals team page at Baseball Reference
- 1998 Kansas City Royals team page at www.baseball-almanac.com