1989 Detroit Tigers season
|1989 Detroit Tigers|
|Major League affiliations|
(Larry Osterman, Jim Northrup)
(Ernie Harwell, Paul Carey)
|< Previous season Next season >|
- November 16, 1988: Ray Knight was released by the Tigers.
- November 30, 1988: Randy Bockus was signed as a Free Agent with the Detroit Tigers.
- January 13, 1989: Doyle Alexander was signed as a free agent by the Tigers.
- February 22, 1989: Mark Huismann was released by the Tigers.
- March 23, 1989: Tom Brookens was traded by the Tigers to the New York Yankees for Charles Hudson.
- March 23, 1989: Eric King was traded by the Tigers to the Chicago White Sox for Kenny Williams.
In August, pitcher Charles Hudson, driving drunk, slammed his Mercury Cougar into a telephone pole in a Detroit suburb. He broke his left leg and his right knee needed reconstructive surgery. Hudson would later discuss how he began to drink as he struggled in his baseball career. He would not pitch in the major leagues again and the Tigers released him in November 1989.
|Toronto Blue Jays||89||73||.549||--|
|Boston Red Sox||83||79||.512||6|
|New York Yankees||74||87||.460||14½|
- May 19, 1989: Rick Schu was purchased by the Tigers from the Baltimore Orioles.
- June 16, 1989: Pat Sheridan was traded by the Tigers to the San Francisco Giants for Tracy Jones.
- August 17, 1989: Keith Atherton was signed as a Free Agent with the Detroit Tigers.
|= Indicates team leader|
Starters by positionNote: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|C||Heath, MikeMike Heath||122||396||104||.263||10||43|
|1B||Bergman, DaveDave Bergman||137||385||103||.268||7||37|
|2B||Whitaker, LouLou Whitaker||148||509||128||.251||28||85|
|3B||Schu, RickRick Schu||98||266||57||.214||7||21|
|SS||Trammell, AlanAlan Trammell||121||449||109||.243||5||43|
|LF||Lynn, FredFred Lynn||117||353||85||.241||11||46|
|CF||Pettis, GaryGary Pettis||119||444||114||.257||1||18|
|RF||Lemon, ChetChet Lemon||127||414||98||.237||7||47|
|DH||Moreland, KeithKeith Moreland||90||318||95||.299||5||35|
Other battersNote: G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|Richie, RobRob Richie||19||49||13||.265||1||10|
Starting pitchersNote: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
|Robinson, JeffJeff Robinson||16||78||4||5||4.73||40|
Other pitchersNote: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
Relief pitchersNote: G = Games pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
- Ray Knight page at Baseball Reference
- Doyle Alexander page at Baseball Reference
- Mark Huismann page at Baseball Reference
- Tom Brookens page at Baseball Reference
- Kenny Williams page at Baseball Reference
- John Harper (February 22, 1995). "A Crash-Course Cubbie". New York Daily News.
- Rick Schu page at Baseball Reference
- Tracy Jones page at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball". Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 1997
- 1989 Detroit Tigers season at Baseball Reference
- Tigers at Baseball Almanac