1984 New York Mets season
| 1984 New York Mets |
|Major league affiliations|
|Owner(s)||Fred Wilpon and Nelson Doubleday, Jr.|
|General manager(s)||Frank Cashen|
|Local television|| WOR-TV/SportsChannel New York|
(Ralph Kiner, Steve Zabriskie, Tim McCarver, Fran Healy)
|Local radio|| WHN |
(Bob Murphy, Steve LaMar, Juan Alicea)
|Previous season Next season|
The New York Mets' 1984 season was the 23rd regular season for the Mets. They went 90-72 and finished 2nd in the National League East. They were managed by Davey Johnson. They played home games at Shea Stadium.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Farm system
- 5 Awards and honors
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
- December 8, 1983: Acquired Sid Fernandez and Ross Jones from the Los Angeles Dodgers for Bob Bailor and Carlos Diaz.
- January 17, 1984: Kevin Elster was drafted by the Mets in the 2nd round of the 1984 Major League Baseball Draft. Player signed May 21, 1984.
- January 17, 1984: Rafael Santana was signed as a free agent by the Mets.
- January 20, 1984: The Chicago White Sox choose Tom Seaver from the Mets as a Free Agent compensation pick.
- January 27, 1984: Sign Dick Tidrow as a Free Agent. The Mets release him on May 8.
- January 30, 1984: Released Dave Kingman.
- February 19, 1984: Kelvin Moore was traded by the Mets to the Milwaukee Brewers for Billy Max (minors).
- March 17, 1984: Jerry Martin was signed as a Free Agent with the New York Mets.
The season had already gotten off to an embarrassing start for GM Frank Cashen and the Mets before it even started. Believing that it was unnecessary to protect a high-salaried, forty-year-old pitcher, the Mets left Tom Seaver unprotected and the Mets were stunned on January 20, 1984 when he was claimed in a free-agent compensation draft by the Chicago White Sox.
This left opening day duties to Mike Torrez. Torrez lasted only 1.1 innings against the Cincinnati Reds at Riverfront Stadium, giving up six earned runs, and giving the Mets their first opening day loss since 1974. Davey Johnson's team did, however, come back to win the next six in a row, including Dwight Gooden's Major League Baseball debut on April 7. Off-season acquisition Sid Fernandez made his debut with the Mets on July 16, going seven innings against the Houston Astros at the Astrodome, and earning the victory.
|New York Mets||90||72||.556||6.5|
|St. Louis Cardinals||84||78||.519||12.5|
- May 9, 1984: Released Craig Swan.
- June 4, 1984: 1984 Major League Baseball Draft
- June 15, 1984: Acquired Bruce Berenyi from the Cincinnati Reds for Jay Tibbs, Eddie Williams and Matts Bullinger.
- June 22, 1984: Released Mike Torrez.
- July 10, 1984: Heathcliff Slocumb was signed by the Mets as an amateur free agent.
- August 28, 1984: The Mets traded players to be named later to the Houston Astros for Ray Knight. The Mets completed the deal by sending Gerald Young and Manuel Lee to the Astros on August 31 and Mitch Cook (minors) to the Astros on September 10.
- August 28, 1984: Jeff Gardner was signed as an amateur free agent by the Mets.
- September 30, 1984: Jerry Martin was released by the New York Mets.
Opening Day starters
- Wally Backman
- Hubie Brooks
- George Foster
- John Gibbons
- Keith Hernandez
- Jose Oquendo
- Darryl Strawberry
- Mike Torrez
- Mookie Wilson
|1984 New York Mets roster|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
|1B||Hernandez, KeithKeith Hernandez||154||550||171||.311||15||94|
|Gardenhire, RonRon Gardenhire||74||207||51||.246||1||10|
|Heep, DannyDanny Heep||99||199||46||.231||1||12|
|Chapman, KelvinKelvin Chapman||75||197||57||.289||3||23|
|Santana, RafaelRafael Santana||51||152||42||.276||1||12|
|Knight, RayRay Knight||27||93||26||.280||1||6|
|Ortiz, JuniorJunior Ortiz||40||91||18||.198||0||11|
|Staub, RustyRusty Staub||78||72||19||.264||1||18|
|Gibbons, JohnJohn Gibbons||10||31||2||.065||0||1|
|Winningham, HermHerm Winningham||14||27||11||.407||0||5|
|Mitchell, KevinKevin Mitchell||7||14||3||.214||0||1|
|Christensen, JohnJohn Christensen||5||11||3||.273||0||3|
|Beane, BillyBilly Beane||5||10||1||.100||0||0|
|Gooden, DwightDwight Gooden||31||218||17||9||2.60||276|
|Torrez, MikeMike Torrez||9||37.2||1||5||5.02||16|
|Gorman, TomTom Gorman||36||6||0||0||2.97||40|
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Jackson, Lynchburg, Little Falls
Awards and honors
- Mike Fitzgerald, Topps All-Star Rookie Teams
- Dwight Gooden, Rookie of the Year & Topps All-Star Rookie Team
- Keith Hernandez, Gold Glove & Silver Slugger
- 1984 New York Mets
- 1984 New York Mets team page at www.baseball-almanac.com