1983 Kansas City Royals season
|1983 Kansas City Royals|
|Major League affiliations|
(Denny Matthews, Denny Trease, Fred White)
(Denny Matthews, Fred White)
|< Previous season Next season >|
- Offseason 1
Regular season 2
- Season standings 2.1
- Notable transactions 2.2
- Pine Tar Game 2.3
- Roster 2.4
Player stats 3
- Starters by position 3.1.1
- Other batters 3.1.2
- Starting pitchers 3.2.1
- Other pitchers 3.2.2
- Relief pitchers 3.2.3
- Batting 3.1
- Farm system 4
- Notes 5
- References 6
- External links 7
- December 8, 1982: Tim Ireland was released by the Royals.
- February 5, 1983: Cecil Fielder was traded by the Royals to the Toronto Blue Jays for Leon Roberts.
- April 20, 1983: Detroit Tigers.
|Chicago White Sox||99||63||.611||0|
|Kansas City Royals||79||83||.488||20.0|
- April 1, 1983: Bombo Rivera was released by the Royals.
- July 6, 1983: Gaylord Perry was signed as a free agent by the Royals.
- July 22, 1983: Melido Pérez was signed as an amateur free agent by the Royals.
- August 2, 1983: Eric Rasmussen was purchased by the Royals from the St. Louis Cardinals.
- August 5, 1983: Vida Blue was released by the Royals.
Pine Tar Game
Playing at New York's Rich "Goose" Gossage for a two-run home run and a 5-4 lead. As Brett crossed the plate, New York manager Billy Martin approached home plate umpire Tim McClelland and requested that Brett's bat be examined. Earlier in the season, Martin and other members (most notably, third baseman Graig Nettles, who as a member of the Minnesota Twins, recalled a similar incident involving Thurman Munson) of the Yankees had noticed the amount of pine tar used by Brett, but Martin had chosen not to say anything until the home run.
With Brett watching from the dugout, McClelland and the rest of the umpiring crew inspected the bat. Measuring the bat against the width of home plate (which is 17 inches), they determined that the amount of pine tar on the bat's handle exceeded that allowed by Rule 1.10(b) of the Major League Baseball rule book, which read that "a bat may not be covered by such a substance more than 18 inches (460 mm) from the tip of the handle."
Starters by positionNote: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
|SS||U L Washington||144||547||129||.236||5||41|
- Tim Ireland page at Baseball Reference
- Cecil Fielder page at Baseball Reference
- Bombo Rivera page at Baseball Reference
- Gaylord Perry page at Baseball Reference
- Melido Pérez page at Baseball Reference
- Eric Rasmussen page at Baseball Reference
- Vida Blue page at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd; Wolff, Miles, eds. (1997). The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball (2nd ed.). Durham, N.C.: Baseball America.
- 1983 Kansas City Royals team page at Baseball Reference
- 1983 Kansas City Royals team page at www.baseball-almanac.com