1954 Baltimore Orioles season
The 1954 Baltimore Orioles season was the franchise's 54th season (it was founded as the Milwaukee Brewers in 1901, then played as the St. Louis Browns from 1902–53) but its first season as the Baltimore Orioles. The season involved the Orioles finishing 7th in the American League with a record of 54 wins and 100 losses, 57 games behind the AL champion Cleveland Indians in their first season in Baltimore. The team was managed by Jimmy Dykes, and played its home games at Baltimore's Memorial Stadium.
- November 30, 1953: Chuck Diering was purchased by the Orioles from the San Francisco Seals.
- February 2, 1954: Satchel Paige was released by the Orioles.
- February 5, 1954: Johnny Groth and Johnny Lipon were traded by the Orioles to the Chicago White Sox for Neil Berry and Sam Mele.
- April 8, 1954: Dave Koslo was acquired from the New York Giants.
- April 15, 1954: Thousands of Baltimoreans jammed city streets as the new Orioles paraded from downtown to their new home at Memorial Stadium. During the 90-minute parade, the new birds signed autographs, handed out pictures and threw styrofoam balls to crowd as the throng marched down 33rd Street West. Inside, more than 46,000 watched the Orioles beat the Chicago White Sox, 3-1, to win their home opener and move into first place in the American League. Ironically, the Orioles lost their last home game of the season, 11-0, to the same White Sox, finishing with 100 losses and 57½ games out of first place.
|New York Yankees||103||51||.669||8|
|Chicago White Sox||94||60||.610||17|
|Boston Red Sox||69||85||.448||42|
- May 11, 1954: Neil Berry, Dick Kokos and Jim Post (minors) were traded by the Orioles to the New York Yankees for Jim Brideweser.
- May 12, 1954: Don Lenhardt was acquired from the Orioles by the Boston Red Sox.
- May 25, 1954: Dick Littlefield was traded by the Orioles to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Cal Abrams.
- June 1, 1954: Vic Wertz was traded by the Orioles to the Cleveland Indians for Bob Chakales.
- July 4, 1954: Marlin Stuart was claimed off waivers from the Orioles by the New York Yankees.
- August 7, 1954: Bob Kuzava was claimed off waivers by the Orioles from the New York Yankees.
|1954 Baltimore Orioles|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|C||Courtney, ClintClint Courtney||122||397||107||.270||4||37|
|1B||Waitkus, EddieEddie Waitkus||95||311||88||.283||2||33|
|2B||Young, BobbyBobby Young||130||432||106||.245||4||24|
|3B||Stephens, VernVern Stephens||101||365||104||.285||8||46|
|SS||Hunter, BillyBilly Hunter||125||411||100||.243||2||27|
|LF||Fridley, JimJim Fridley||85||240||59||.246||4||36|
|CF||Diering, ChuckChuck Diering||128||418||108||.258||2||29|
|RF||Abrams, CalCal Abrams||115||423||124||.293||6||25|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|Kennedy, BobBob Kennedy||106||323||81||.251||6||45|
|Kryhoski, DickDick Kryhoski||100||300||78||.260||1||34|
|Coan, GilGil Coan||94||265||74||.279||2||20|
|Brideweser, JimJim Brideweser||73||204||54||.265||0||12|
|Mele, SamSam Mele||72||230||55||.239||5||32|
|Moss, LesLes Moss||50||126||31||.246||0||5|
|García, ChicoChico García||39||62||7||.113||0||5|
|Wertz, VicVic Wertz||29||94||19||.202||1||13|
|Murray, RayRay Murray||22||61||15||.246||0||2|
|Lenhardt, DonDon Lenhardt||13||33||5||.152||0||1|
|Kokos, DickDick Kokos||11||10||2||.200||1||1|
|Durham, JoeJoe Durham||10||40||9||.225||1||3|
|Kellert, FrankFrank Kellert||10||34||7||.206||0||1|
|Berry, NeilNeil Berry||5||9||1||.111||0||0|
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
|Turley, BobBob Turley||35||247.1||14||15||3.46||185|
|Coleman, JoeJoe Coleman||33||221.1||13||17||3.50||103|
|Larsen, DonDon Larsen||29||201.2||3||21||4.37||80|
|Pillette, DuaneDuane Pillette||25||179||10||14||3.12||66|
|Kuzava, BobBob Kuzava||4||23.2||1||3||4.18||15|
|Bickford, VernVern Bickford||1||4||0||1||9.00||0|
|Kretlow, LouLou Kretlow||32||166.2||6||11||4.37||82|
|O'Dell, BillyBilly O'Dell||7||16.1||1||1||2.76||6|
|Koslo, DaveDave Koslo||3||14.1||0||1||3.14||3|
Note: G = Games pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
|Chakales, BobBob Chakales||38||3||7||3||3.73||44|
|Fox, HowieHowie Fox||38||1||2||2||3.67||27|
|Blyzka, MikeMike Blyzka||37||1||5||1||4.69||35|
|Stuart, MarlinMarlin Stuart||22||1||2||2||4.46||13|
|Littlefield, DickDick Littlefield||3||0||0||0||10.50||5|
|Heard, JayJay Heard||2||0||0||0||13.50||2|
|Duren, RyneRyne Duren||1||0||0||0||9.00||2|
Awards and honors
|AA||San Antonio Missions||Texas League||Don Heffner|
|A||Wichita Indians||Western League||Herb Brett and Les Layton|
|A||Lewiston Broncs||Western International League||Larry Barton, Sr.|
|B||York White Roses||Piedmont League||George Staller|
|B||Anderson Rebels||Tri-State League||Virgil Stallcup, Fred Boiko and Bob Knoke|
|C||Pine Bluff Judges||Cotton States League||Frank Lucchesi and Bill Enos|
|C||Aberdeen Pheasants||Northern League||Barney Lutz|
|C||Thetford Mines Mineurs||Provincial League||Bill Krueger|
|D||Wytheville Statesmen||Appalachian League||Joe Murray, Bill Enos and Jim Cisternelli|
|D||Americus-Cordele Orioles||Georgia-Florida League||Cliff Melton and Jack Landis|
|D||Ada Herefords/Cementers||Sooner State League||Louis Brower and John Densmore|
|D||Marion Marauders||Tar Heel League||Bob Knoke|
Tar Heel League disbanded, June 21, 1954
- 1954 Baltimore Orioles team page at Baseball Reference
- 1954 Baltimore Orioles season at baseball-almanac.com