The Last Sunset (film)
|The Last Sunset|
|Directed by||Robert Aldrich|
|Produced by||Eugene Frenke, Edward Lewis|
|Written by||Howard Rigsby (novel Sundown at Crazy Horse), Dalton Trumbo|
|Music by||Ernest Gold, Tomás Méndez (song "Cu Cu Ru Cu Paloma")|
|Edited by||Michael Luciano|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|Release dates||USA: June 7, 1961|
|Running time||112 min.|
Brendan O'Malley (Douglas) crosses the border into Mexico to escape justice for a murder. He arrives at the ranch of a former lover, Belle Breckenridge (Malone) and her husband, the drunkard and coward John Breckenridge (Joseph Cotten).
O'Malley meets her daughter Melissa (Carol Lynley). He is immediately attracted to Missy, who reminds him of Belle when they were lovers years ago. Breckenridge, meanwhile, hires O'Malley to drive his herd to Texas.
Sheriff Dana Stribling (Hudson) is pursuing O'Malley. He arrives at the ranchero to serve a warrant for the murder of his brother-in-law.
Stribling does not have jurisdiction to arrest O'Malley in Mexico so he also agrees to join the cattle drive to Texas. He promises to deliver O'Malley to the law upon their arrival.
During the cattle drive some former Confederates confront Breckenridge in a bar and accuse him of cowardice during a battle in the Civil War. Although Stribling and O'Malley team up to try and save Breckenridge's life, he is shot and killed trying to leave the bar. Stribling and O'Malley respond by shooting the men who killed him, and then they bury his remains.
Along the journey, Stribling and Belle become attracted to each other and plan to marry, and O'Malley and Missy fall in love, increasing the tension between the sheriff and the outlaw.
On the eve of the showdown between the two men, Belle discloses the secret that Missy is the daughter of O'Malley and their incestuous love cannot continue. At the gunfight, O'Malley faces the sheriff with an unloaded gun, effectively committing suicide.
- Rock Hudson as Dana Stribling
- Kirk Douglas as Brendan 'Bren' O'Malley
- Dorothy Malone as Belle Breckenridge
- Joseph Cotten as John Breckenridge
- Carol Lynley as Melissa 'Missy' Breckenridge
- Neville Brand as Frank Hobbs
- Regis Toomey as Milton Wing
- James Westmoreland as Julesburg Kid (as Rad Fulton)
- Adam Williams as Calverton
- Jack Elam as Ed Hobbs
- John Shay as Bowman
- Alain Silver and James Ursini, Whatever Happened to Robert Aldrich?, Limelight, 1995 p 255
- The Last Sunset at the Internet Movie Database
- The Last Sunset at AllMovie
- The Last Sunset at the TCM Movie Database
- The Last SunsetStrange on the Range – (TCM's Movie Morlocks)