The Babe Ruth Story
|The Babe Ruth Story|
1990 Fox Video VHS release
|Directed by||Roy Del Ruth|
|Produced by||Roy Del Ruth|
Bob Considine (book and screenplay)
Babe Ruth (book)
|Narrated by||Knox Manning|
|Music by||Edward Ward|
|Edited by||Richard Heermance|
|Distributed by||Allied Artists|
|Running time||106 minutes|
The Babe Ruth Story is a 1948 baseball film biography of Babe Ruth, the famed New York Yankees slugger. It stars William Bendix (New York Yankee batboy in the 1920s) as the ballplayer and Claire Trevor as his wife. It was rush released to news of Ruth's declining health, and makes no mention whatsoever of Ruth's first wife, Helen. Critics panned the film's heavy-handedness and direction, and it is said by many to be one of the worst films ever made.
Reviews were negative, citing the film's moments of heavy-handedness, including a scene where Babe cures a paraplegic boy just by saying "hello" in passing, as well as a contrived re-enactment of Babe Ruth's famous World Series home run against the Chicago Cubs. Ruth delivers on a promise he made to a young cancer patient that he would hit a home run. Not only does Ruth succeed in fulfilling the promise, but the child immediately shows signs of improvement. Dan Shaughnessy of The Boston Globe called The Babe Ruth Story "the worst movie I ever saw" while The Washington Times stated that the film "stands as possibly the worst movie ever made." The film has been called one of the worst sports films ever by Newsday and The A.V. Club, and called one of the worst biopics by Moviefone and Spike. Michael Sauter included it in his The Worst Movies of All Time book and Leonard Maltin called it "perfectly dreadful."
- William Bendix as Babe Ruth
- Claire Trevor as Claire Hogsdon Ruth
- Charles Bickford as Brother Matthias
- William Frawley as Jack Dunn
- Sam Levene as Phil Conrad
- Matt Briggs as Col. Jacob Ruppert
- Fred Lightner as Miller Huggins
- Mark Koenig as Himself
- Mel Allen as Himself
- Babe Ruth - The Called Shot on YouTube
- Dan Shaughnessy (Apr 3, 1986). "Duke as Williams? A Prince of an Idea". Spokane Chronicle. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- Heller, Dick (July 23, 2000). "Clinic and reception in the works to honor NBA pioneer Lloyd". The Washington Times. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- Isaacs, Stan (Feb 26, 1989). "OUT OF LEFT FIELD The 10 Worst Sports Movies Of All Time". Newsday. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "The home run that cured cancer: 16 Amazing Movie Sports Feats". The A.V. Club. Oct 6, 2008. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Worst Movie Biopics: Real-Life Catastrophes". Moviefone. November 5, 2009. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- """Blockbuster Hollywood Bios: The Good, the Bad, and the "Jobs. Spike. August 16, 2013. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- The Babe Ruth Story at the Internet Movie Database