List of Arizona Diamondbacks Opening Day starting pitchers
The franchise based in Phoenix, Arizona. They play in the National League West division. The first game of the new baseball season for a team is played on Opening Day, and being named the Opening Day starter is an honor, which is often given to the player who is expected to lead the pitching staff that season, though there are various strategic reasons why a team's best pitcher might not start on Opening Day. The Diamondbacks have used seven different Opening Day starting pitchers in their 17 seasons. The seven starters have a combined Opening Day record of seven wins, five losses (7–5), and five no decisions. No decisions are only awarded to the starting pitcher if the game is won or lost after the starting pitcher has left the game.
Randy Johnson holds the Diamondbacks' record for most Opening Day starts with six, and has an Opening Day record of 3–2. Brandon Webb started four Opening Days, and Ian Kennedy has been the Opening Day starter thrice. Andy Benes, Javier Vázquez, Dan Haren, and Wade Miley have started one Opening Day each. Kennedy has the best winning percentage as the Opening Day starting pitcher with a record of 2–0. Benes, Vázquez, and Miley are tied for the worst Opening Day record, at 0–1. Webb is Arizona's only pitcher with multiple no-decisions on Opening Day (three), and Johnson is the only pitcher to have won three or more opening games.
Overall, the Diamondbacks have a record of 6–5 at home on Opening Day, compared to a 4–2 record at away games. The Diamondbacks went on to play in the National League Division Series (NLDS) playoff games in 1999, 2001, 2002, 2007 and 2011, winning the National League Championship Series and World Series in 2001.
|Season||Each year is linked to an article about that particular Diamondbacks season.|
|ND (W)||No decision by starting pitcher; Diamondbacks won game|
|ND (L)||No decision by starting pitcher; Diamondbacks lost game|
|Pitcher (#)||Number of appearances as Opening Day starter with the Diamondbacks|
|*||Advanced to the postseason|
|**||Won National League Championship Series|
|†||Won World Series|
- Bastian, Jordan (March 22, 2010). "Marcum tapped for Jays' Opening Day". MLB.com. Retrieved September 26, 2010.
- Dilbeck, Steve (February 24, 2014). "Dodgers may not start Clayton Kershaw in Sydney". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 25, 2014.
- "Arizona Diamondbacks Opening Day Starters and Results".
- "Arizona 6, San Diego 3".
- "Arizona 9, Colorado 8".
- "Diamondbacks 2, Padres 0".
- "Dodgers' Nomo tosses four-hit shutout".
- "Johnson gives up six hits, Estes just two".
- "Lee leads assault with four hits, 5 RBI".
- "Arizona Apr 3, 2006, Diamondbacks at Rockies Box Score and Play by Play".
- "Apr 2, 2007, Diamondbacks at Rockies Play by Play and Box Score".
- "Reds lose opener to D-backs". The Northerner. 2008-04-02. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- "Diamondbacks spoil Baker's debut as Reds manager".
- "Opening Day 2011: Arizona 7, Colorado 6".
- "Opening Day 2012: Arizona 5, San Francisco 4".
- "D-Backs 6, Cardinals 2".
- "Dodgers 3, D-Backs 1".