1989 Oakland Athletics season
The 1989 Oakland Athletics season saw the A's finish in first place in the American League West division, with a record of 99 wins and 63 losses, seven games in front of the Kansas City Royals. It was their second consecutive AL West title, as well as the second straight year in which they finished with the best record in all of baseball. The team defeated the Toronto Blue Jays in five games in the ALCS, then swept their cross-Bay rivals, the San Francisco Giants, in an earthquake-marred World Series.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 ALCS
- 5 World series
- 6 Awards and honors
- 7 Farm system
- 8 References
- November 28, 1988: Mike Moore signs as a free agent with the Oakland Athletics.
- November 30, 1988: Billy Beane was signed as a Free Agent with the Oakland Athletics.
- Ken Griffey, Jr. made his major league baseball debut on April 3, 1989, in a game against the Oakland Athletics.
- On August 22, 1989, Nolan Ryan struck out Rickey Henderson for the 5,000th strikeout in his career.
|Kansas City Royals||92||70||.568||7|
|Chicago White Sox||69||92||.429||29½|
- April 6, 1989: Troy Afenir was traded by the Houston Astros to the Oakland Athletics for Matt Sinatro.
- April 6, 1989: Mike Norris was signed as a Free Agent with the Oakland Athletics.
- May 27, 1989: Jamie Quirk was signed as a Free Agent with the Oakland Athletics.
- June 5, 1989: Mike Mohler was drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 42nd round of the 1989 amateur draft. Player signed August 18, 1989.
- June 21, 1989: Rickey Henderson was traded by the New York Yankees to the Oakland Athletics for Greg Cadaret, Eric Plunk, and Luis Polonia.
- July 24, 1989: Jamie Quirk was released by the Oakland Athletics.
- July 31, 1989: Glenn Hubbard was released by the Oakland Athletics.
- August 30, 1989: Ken Phelps was traded by the New York Yankees to the Oakland Athletics for Scott Holcomb (minors).
|1989 Oakland Athletics|
|1989 game log|
|= Indicates team leader|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
October 3, 1989, at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum
|W: Dave Stewart (1-0) L: Dave Stieb (0-1)|
|HR: OAK – Dave Henderson (1), Mark McGwire (1)|
October 4, 1989, at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum
|W: Mike Moore (1-0) L: Todd Stottlemyre (0-1) S: Dennis Eckersley (1)|
|HR: OAK – Dave Parker (1)|
October 6, 1989, at SkyDome
|W: Jimmy Key (1-0) L: Storm Davis (0-1)|
|HR: OAK – Dave Parker (2)|
October 7, 1989, at SkyDome
|W: Bob Welch (1-0) L: Mike Flanagan (0-1) S: Dennis Eckersley (2)|
|HR: OAK – Rickey Henderson 2 (2), José Canseco (1)|
October 8, 1989, at SkyDome
|W: Dave Stewart (2-0) L: Dave Stieb (0-2) S: Dennis Eckersley (3)|
|HR: TOR – Lloyd Moseby (1), George Bell (1)|
|Game||Score||Date||Location||Attendance||Time of game|
|1||Giants – 0, A’s – 5||October 14||Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (Oakland)||49,385||2:45|
|2||Giants – 1, A’s – 5||October 15||Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (Oakland)||49,388||2:47|
|3||A’s – 13, Giants – 7||October 27||Candlestick Park (San Francisco)||62,038||3:03|
|4||A’s – 9, Giants – 6||October 28||Candlestick Park (San Francisco)||62,032||3:07|
Awards and honors
- Rickey Henderson, ALCS Most Valuable Player
- Dave Stewart, World Series MVP
- Dave Stewart, Pitcher
- Terry Steinbach, Catcher, Starter
- Mark McGwire, First Base, Starter
- José Canseco, Outfield, Reserve
- Mike Moore, Pitcher, Reserve
- Tony LaRussa, Manager
- Games – Dave Henderson (152)
- At-Bats – Dave Henderson (579)
- Runs – Carney Lansford (81)
- Hits – Carney Lansford (185)
- Doubles – Carney Lansford (28)
- Triples – Tony Phillips (6)
- Home Runs – Mark McGwire (33)
- Runs Batted In – Dave Parker
- Walks – Dave Henderson (177)
- Batting Average – Carney Lansford (.336)
- On Base Percentage – Rickey Henderson (.425)
- Slugging Average – José Canseco (.542)
- Stolen Bases – Rickey Henderson (52)
- Wins – Dave Stewart (21)
- Innings Pitched – Dave Stewart (257.7)
- Earned Run Average – Dennis Eckersley (1.56)
- Strikeouts – Mike Moore (172)
- 1989 Oakland Athletics team page at Baseball Reference
- 1989 Oakland Athletics team page at www.baseball-almanac.com
- Blog remembering the team and featuring images of the A's players
|AL West Championship Season
| Succeeded by|
|American League Championship
| Succeeded by|