1982 New York Mets season
| 1982 New York Mets |
|Major league affiliations|
|Owner(s)||Fred Wilpon and Nelson Doubleday, Jr.|
|General manager(s)||Frank Cashen|
|Local television|| WOR-TV/SportsChannel New York|
(Ralph Kiner, Lorn Brown)
|Local radio|| WMCA|
(Bob Murphy, Steve LaMar)
|Previous season Next season|
The New York Mets' 1982 season was the 21st regular season for the Mets. They went 65-97 and finished 6th in the National League East. They were managed by George Bamberger. They played home games at Shea Stadium.
- December 11, 1981: Doug Flynn and Dan Boitano were traded by the Mets to the Texas Rangers for Jim Kern.
- October 12, 1981: Mike Marshall was released by the New York Mets.
- February 10, 1982: Alex Treviño, Jim Kern, and Greg Harris were traded by the Mets to the Cincinnati Reds for George Foster.
|St. Louis Cardinals||92||70||.568||--|
|New York Mets||65||97||.401||27|
- April 1, 1982: Lee Mazzilli was traded by the Mets to the Texas Rangers for Ron Darling and Walt Terrell.
- April 5, 1982: Mike Cubbage was released by the Mets.
- May 10, 1982: Manuel Lee was signed as an amateur free agent by the Mets.
- May 21, 1982: Rick Sweet was purchased from the Mets by the Seattle Mariners.
- June 7, 1982: 1982 Major League Baseball Draft
- August 4, 1982: Joel Youngblood was traded by the Mets to the Montreal Expos for a player to be named later. The Expos completed the trade by sending Tom Gorman to the Mets on August 16.
On August 4, 1982, Youngblood became the first player in history to get hits for two different teams in two different cities on the same day. Youngblood had driven in the winning run for the Mets in an afternoon game at Wrigley Field against the Chicago Cubs, and then singled in a night game for the Montreal Expos in Philadelphia after he had been traded. Interestingly, the two pitchers he hit safely against, Ferguson Jenkins of the Cubs and Steve Carlton of the Philadelphia Phillies, are both in the Baseball Hall of Fame.
|1982 New York Mets roster|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
|LF||Foster, GeorgeGeorge Foster||151||550||136||.247||13||70|
|Youngblood, JoelJoel Youngblood||80||202||52||.257||3||21|
|Rajsich, GaryGary Rajsich||80||162||42||.259||2||12|
|Giles, BrianBrian Giles||45||138||29||.210||3||10|
|Tillman, RustyRusty Tillman||12||13||2||.154||0||0|
|Sweet, RickRick Sweet||3||3||1||.333||0||0|
|Ownbey, RickRick Ownbey||8||50.1||1||2||3.75||28|
|Holman, ScottScott Holman||4||26.2||2||1||2.36||11|
|Terrell, WaltWalt Terrell||3||21||0||3||3.43||8|
|Falcone, PetePete Falcone||40||171||8||10||3.84||101|
|Gorman, TomTom Gorman||3||9.1||0||1||0.96||7|
|Allen, NeilNeil Allen||50||3||7||19||3.06||59|
|Diaz, CarlosCarlos Diaz||4||0||0||0||0.00||0|
|AAA||Tidewater Tides||International League||Jack Aker|
|AA||Jackson Mets||Texas League||Gene Dusan|
|A||Lynchburg Mets||Carolina League||Dan Monzon|
|A||Shelby Mets||South Atlantic League||Rich Miller|
|Short-Season A||Little Falls Mets||New York-Penn League||Sam Perlozzo|
|Rookie||Kingsport Mets||Appalachian League||Ed Olsen|
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Tidewater
- 1982 New York Mets
- 1982 New York Mets team page at www.baseball-almanac.com