1981 New York Mets season
| 1981 New York Mets |
|Major league affiliations|
|Owner(s)||Fred Wilpon and Nelson Doubleday, Jr.|
|General manager(s)||Frank Cashen|
|Local radio|| WMCA |
(Ralph Kiner, Bob Murphy, Steve Albert, Art Shamsky)
|Previous season Next season|
The New York Mets' 1981 season was the 20th regular season for the Mets. They went 41-62 and finished 5th in the NL East. They were managed by Joe Torre. They played home games at Shea Stadium. The season is remembered for a summer strike that cut the season in half.
- November 16, 1980: Kevin Mitchell was signed as an amateur free agent by the Mets.
- December 15, 1980: José Moreno and John Pacella were traded by the Mets to the San Diego Padres for Randy Jones.
- December 15, 1980: Rick Sweet was purchased by the Mets from the San Diego Padres.
- December 16, 1980: Rusty Staub was signed as a free agent by the Mets.
- December 19, 1980: Mike Cubbage was signed as a Free Agent with the New York Mets.
- January 13, 1981: Randy Milligan was drafted by the Mets in the 1st round (3rd pick) of the 1981 Major League Baseball Draft.
First Half standings
|St. Louis Cardinals||30||20||.600||1.5|
|New York Mets||17||34||.333||15.0|
Second Half standings
|St. Louis Cardinals||29||23||.558||0.5|
|New York Mets||24||28||.462||5.5|
- April 3, 1981: John Csefalvay (minors) was traded by the Mets to the Houston Astros for Gary Rajsich.
- April 5, 1981: Dan Boitano was purchased by the New York Mets from the Milwaukee Brewers.
- April 6, 1981: Butch Benton was sent to the Chicago Cubs by the New York Mets as part of a conditional deal.
- May 29, 1981: Jeff Reardon and Dan Norman were traded by the Mets to the Montreal Expos for Ellis Valentine.
- June 8, 1981: 1981 Major League Baseball Draft
- June 15, 1981: Bill Latham was signed as an amateur free agent by the Mets.
- August 19, 1981: Mike Marshall was signed as a free agent by the Mets.
|1981 New York Mets roster|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
|AAA||Tidewater Tides||International League||Jack Aker|
|AA||Jackson Mets||Texas League||Davey Johnson|
|A||Lynchburg Mets||Carolina League||Gene Dusan|
|A||Shelby Mets||South Atlantic League||Dan Monzon|
|Short-Season A||Little Falls Mets||New York-Penn League||Rich Miller|
|Rookie||Kingsport Mets||Appalachian League||Al Jackson|
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Jackson
- 1981 New York Mets
- 1981 New York Mets team page at www.baseball-almanac.com