25 December 1913|
11 October 1944
|Years of service||1935–44|
|Rank||Major of the Reserves|
|Commands held||Panzer-AufklAbt 5|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords (posthumous)|
Fritz Feßmann (25 December 1913 – 11 October 1944) was a German officer serving during World War II and recipient of the coveted Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves and Swords was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Feßmann was killed in action on 11 October 1944. He had just debarked from his vehicle when a Soviet shell exploded before him, throwing him back into the vehicle and killing him instantly. He was posthumously awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords and promoted to Major of the Reserves.
- Wound Badge in Silver
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (28 May 1940)
- 1st Class (16 July 1941)
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords
- Knight's Cross on 27 October 1941 as Leutnant of the Reserves and platoon leader of the 1./Panzer-Aufklärungsabteilung 7
- 170th Oak Leaves on 4 January 1943 as Oberleutnant of the Reserves and chief of the 1./Kradschützen-Bataillon 64
- 103rd Swords on 23 October 1944 (posthumous) as Hauptmann of the Reserves and commander of the Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 5
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht
- Thomas 1997, p. 164.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 179.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 64.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 45.
- Berger, Florian (1999). Mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern. Die höchstdekorierten Soldaten des Zweiten Weltkrieges [With Oak Leaves and Swords. The Highest Decorated Soldiers of the Second World War] (in German). Vienna, Austria: Selbstverlag Florian Berger.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Frey, Gerhard; Herrmann, Hajo: Helden der Wehrmacht III - Unsterbliche deutsche Soldaten (in German). München, Germany: FZ-Verlag GmbH, 2007. ISBN 978-3-924309-82-4.
- Fritz Feßmann @ Panzer-Archiv
- Fritz Feßmann @ Lexikon der Wehrmacht